FacebookTwitterGoogle+YouTubePodcasts on iTunesPinterest
Banner
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

What Is Abolition?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: What Is Abolition?
What Is Abolition? 3 Years, 7 Months ago  
Seeing there's nothing in this thread yet, i thought i'd talk about what abolition is.

In the broad sense, it means the end of animal exploitation, or the movement to achieve that. That is, no more animals raised for food, used in rodeos or for 'medical' experiments, and so on.

In the more narrow sense it refers to Gary Francione's approach of aiming to end exploitation by encouraging others to become vegan - not supporting welfare campaigns or those that don't promote being vegan.

The reason for this is that welfare campaigns actively support exploitation rather than abolish it, and campaigns that don't promote being vegan don't advocate ending exploitation, but typically only seek improvements in specific areas.

Gary's approach also only endorses peaceful action.

While people can call themselves abolitionists in the broad sense and support welfare, the term more strictly applies to people who follow Gary's approach.

There are some people who consider themselves abolitionists but think that violence has its place - something i won't go into here. They also don't support welfare.

In summary, then, the strictest and 'original' meaning of being an abolitionist in terms of animal rights refers to Gary's approach.

People that think violence has its place have drawn the basic idea of not supporting welfare from Gary.

People who call themselves abolitionists but believe in welfare, are right only in the broadest sense. So to avoid confusion, if you believe in welfare, it's clearer not to call yourself an abolitionist.
Last Edit: 2010/09/02 03:52 By Rico.

Re: What Is Abolition? 1 Year, 10 Months ago  
okay, thank you for this information. And thank you for sharing your ideas.
Always continue the climb. It is possible for you to do whatever you choose, if you first get to know who you are and are willing to work with a power that is greater than ourselves to do it.

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Go to topPage: 1

© Viva La Vegan!Using Green Hosting | Site by DesignVoodoo.com
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia Licence Creative Commons Licence